Barred rock gender guessing game !

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alexs flock, Nov 3, 2016.

1. alexs flock

alexs flock New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    Pitt meadows b.c canada
    I have 5 barred rocks total. They are 17 weeks. I think I'm down to one of the birds I'm not sure of the gender correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I have 2 pullets, 2 cockerels and the last one I'm not sure of![​IMG]
    I believe these are the two pullets. [​IMG]
    These are the cockerels.[​IMG]
    this is the bird in question, its face is not as red at the cockerels but more red than the pullets slightly also the feathers are lighter than the pullets but darker than the cockerels...
    [​IMG]
    In this picture the bird in question is the front one and the pullet is behind.
    Let me know what you think !

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Your birds are barred, but they're not Rocks. I'm not sure they're pure breds, they look mixed to me. Maybe cuckoo Marans mixes? They look to have white skin, which would lend itself to Marans. But, the males don't have the double barring of a pure bred male. They also look younger than stated age, are you sure on that? or have they been ill, maybe?

First pic looks like two pullets, I think.
    Second pic, looks like a pullet in front, I think, but not positive. need a better angle. Bird on the right is a cockerel.
    third pic, looks like a cockerel.
    fourth pic, looks like a pullet in back and I can't tell in front.

Can you get a better pic of the particular bird in question?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    my vote goes to donrae I agree

4. alexs flock

alexs flock New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    Pitt meadows b.c canada
    It's possible they are not pure bred, they did not come from a hatchery and the lady who had them also had cuckoo marans. I have also been wondering about the age of the birds.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    the bird in front is the one in question and is the same bird in all 3 pictures

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It looks like a cockerel. And I'd say at least a month younger, or stunted somehow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by