Barred Rock gender**PIC HEAVY**UPDATED PICS**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Robin'sBrood, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    This little BR will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday. Barbara or Brock?

No flash used for any of these.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, at this point, I say pullet. The thing that would throw someone off about this chick are that the legs are more cockerel-like, though, some lines do not have the dark on the leg fronts that you would expect in a pullet. Another thing is the chest almost has lacing rather than barring-it's really odd for a pure BR to have that. Overall, it appears to be a pullet to me.
    Most of my BR pullets start with that single band of white near the end of the wing feathers and I rarely see that on a cockerel. I'm guessing pullet.

3. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    YEAH!! [​IMG] I've been reading every thread I can find about BR's on here and "Barbara" had me very confused due to the leg thing. I sure hope it's a pullet, I've always wanted a BR hen!

Came from TSC so I'm sure the quality is, well, you know... [​IMG]

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Very interesting, indeed. First glance says pullet...but what if it's a cross? Hmm. Really pretty lacing, but nothing I've seen on a pure BR. [​IMG] Hopefully Barbara!

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Here is a pic of my BR roo, about 4 weeks old and very much the roo...hope these help...i am thinking you have a pullet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Robin'sBrood :

This little BR will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday. Barbara or Brock?

*Gasp* Brock is my BROTHER'S name! Crazy!

I can't see the photos so I'm going to have to wait until I can see them to make a judgment call.​

7. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    what do barred look like as chicks with all the down on them? Do they still have the black and white coloring?

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    if you look at this pic, he is the second from the left- when i got him he was grayish black fuzz and a clear spot on his head, so i knew he was a boy, the girls spot isn't quite as defined

[​IMG]

this is when i first got him...

[​IMG]

if you can't see these, i have them on my photobucket, the link is in the sig

9. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Okay, my sweet little "Barbara" is 7 weeks 2 days old now. Still think she's a little lady? [​IMG] And is she a BR mix (look at her chest... [​IMG])

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like a BR mix. At this age, seven weeks, it's still not certain with the sex, however, when you cross breeds, sometimes the sexing rules go out the window. Looks like this one could go either way, but at the moment, I'm leaning toward pullet. You may have to wait another couple weeks and see how this chick develops.

Well, I'm not really leaning either way, after looking again. Hard to tell on this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by