Barred Rock gender questions...photo heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LaurenM23, Jun 28, 2010.

1. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Hi all!

I am a first time chick-mother and purchased these eight little ones as one week old "Dominiques". After posting some early pics, it was apparent that they were developing single combs, rather than the correct rose comb. They are now three and a half weeks old and have been relocated to their new coop and outdoor run area. They have changed substantially in these two short weeks.

The chicks were chosen for tight white spots on the head and dark shanks and toes (compared to the other clutch members). One chick in particular had no spot and VERY dark legs. All chicks looked the same otherwise, none particularly lighter in color (all dark black and cream), with only barred adults as parents. Quickly, the no-head spot chick looked very different and remains so. I have no clue how a different breed could come from these barred birds, but she looks like an Australorp.

They all seem to be developing at the same rate, feather-wise, except for one who is a little slower. I am wondering if this is a sign of cockerel or just the youngest of the batch. Please give the photos a look and see if any little roos jump out at you. Some of the combs seem to be developing quickly, but those chicks also have darker coloring and dark legs, so I'm not sure what to expect from the combs. At this point, I don't know anything about them! [​IMG]

Group Photos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dark chick
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close ups
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    the ones that look like they have white wings with black strips I am sorry to say are all roos, but I know you have at least have a few pullets. I think you are right about the dark one.Are you sure they came from the same parents?

3. LaurenM23

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    We saw nothing but barred birds and only one roo in the whole bunch. I am at a loss as to where this little one came from. There were RIRs, but they were completely separate. I doubt that a cross between BRs and RIRs would have produced something like this, anyhow! haha If the breed is Australorp, is this a roo or a pullet? It is definitely larger than the others, but not by a whole lot.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I see one pullet, the one sleeping in the first couple pics. She is in quite a few pics, but only 1 girl.
    The all-black one does look like a BA, and it also looks like a roo. Maybe they got eggs from someone else, or had BA before? Idk, BR and RIR would result in a sex-link bird.

ETA: Looking again at your first pic (this has all of them, correct?), it appears that there might be 2 barred pullets. The one in the front right is definitely a pullet, the one behind it, laying in the corner looks like it might be a pullet as well, but I can't see the comb. Though the wing-bars on that one do look a bit broader than they should be for a pullet.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  5. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Well just so you could see the difference these are my BR pullet pics and the whiter one we thought was a roo but is a pullet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. CardinalChickens

CardinalChickens Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    To me, there is absolutely no question that the dark one is an Australorp. You can look through my posts to see pics of mine, looks just like mine did at that age.

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    WOW...... what a coincidence...... i recently picked out 5 barred rock chicks and one had a darker beak and legs too as well and no dot on the head. It never got barring, but the black is lightening up as SHE grows.......almost to a dark blue.
    I have no idea what she is either. Funny how we can try to plan things so well, but they will go the way they go anyway LOL
    That looks like alot of roosters, so i guess the small dot theory is not so great [​IMG]

8. LaurenM23

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    I am beginning to think that I have a whole batch of mystery chicks! Looking at the coloring has given me concern about two being roos...there are two that are lighter for sure. Then I look at the legs...some of the ones that absolutely looking like pullets have lighter legs than the questionable ones. Then I look at the combs...those that are darn near absolutely pullets have more developed combs than those that I would swear are roos. I am thinking that we are at some awkward growth stage and that no true determination can be made at this point. They are changing almost daily...I can't keep up!!!

The Australorp, if that's the right breed...who the heck knows...has a very neat little comb and was the first to feather. I actually think she was a little bit older, as she was developing much ahead of the others. I am thinking pullet, though I'm not sure of the markers for that breed...or if it is one. Could it be a black sex link? There were only two types of chicken at the farm: Barred Rocks (called Dominiques, but apparently they lie lol) and RIRs. If the two somehow got together (though they were nicely separated when we were there), could they produce this? I'm not seeing how a single Australorp chick just happened into the mix in the backwoods of VA. Either way, she's lovely and very inquisitive, so it better be a girl! haha

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There are three cutie-roos in the pics, as far as I can determine. The solid one is obviously not a Barred Rock, probably Australorp if that is a single comb on it. If it has no barring as soon as the wings feather in, it's not a BR.

10. LaurenM23

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    I've been watching that one most closely...definitely a tiny single comb, definitely no barring. I have yet to get the right angle with her, but she does have white feathers on the wing tips nearest to the underside. Out of all of them, this one has the most feathers...just harder to see given they are black. Almost a smokey color to some of them, but no mottled coloring anywhere. This one also has the best face and does a precious head tilt when I'm chatting with them. I wouldn't call it very brave, but very interested in me. I tried the "sneezing" technique last night and all scattered together...so much for helping to point out my roos! haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by