Barred rock gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tiltt, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Tiltt

Tiltt New Egg

Jul 24, 2010
    Hey guys, first time posting here. I recently found a stray Barred Rock running around in my friends backyard. Its a couple weeks old and I have no idea if its a boy or girl. so i was hoping you guys could give me an opinion [​IMG]

(sorry for the crappy quality)
    [​IMG]

the other thing is that the front of its legs are almost completely black, i know i've read about that having something to do with it.
    thanks for the help, ill get more pictures if needed.

2. sprawli

sprawli Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Looks like my 6week old silver cuckoo marans pullets. They also have black on the front of their legs.

3. Tiltt

Tiltt New Egg

Jul 24, 2010
    oh wow i just looked up a picture of those, it looks almost exactly the same! idk, one of my friends told me it was probably a barred because of the large white spot on the back of its head.

4. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    i think you've got a female!

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    It is a female whatever it is, I say probably a barred rock, possibly a regular cuckoo Marans, but not a Silver Cuckoo. And with the blurry pic, I cant tell for sure that she doesnt have a rose comb which would mean shes a Dominique.

Can you get a better clear pic of the combe and legs ?

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    looks like my Barred Rock pullet, but I am not familiar with CM's so like others said could be that as well. But she does look like a forsure girl if she is a Barred Rock. Hopefully she is! [​IMG]

7. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    [​IMG]

8. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    check the color of the legs. If they are yellow, it's more likely a barred rock.
    If they're white/grey, it's more likely they are a cuckoo marans.
    [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It looks like a BR pullet. If the legs are yellow with black wash down the fronts, BR. If whitish/grayish, a Cuckoo Marans. In either case, it has female coloring.

10. Tiltt

Tiltt New Egg

Jul 24, 2010
    yeah, it has yellow legs with the black wash on the front. thanks alot guys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by