Barred rock. Girl or boy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mama24, Mar 28, 2012.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I picked this one b/c I thought it was a girl. Then the manager (who was a complete jerk, btw, through the whole experience. I will not be going there again for anything, including feed for my other animals! I could write a whole other post on that experience, so I won't go into it here.) Anyway, the jerk told me that they were all roosters. I said why on earth would they send all roosters? And he says they already sold all of the pullets and only roos were left. He guaranteed that the one I picked was a boy based on the wing feathers. [​IMG] Which, btw, are 2 different lengths, so even if these chicks WERE feather sexable, he'd still be wrong! Anyway, here it is. Please tell me I made a good choice! LOL!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I'm thinking male. [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Well, in the first picture it looks as though you have a bright light shining down on it, which may be what is causing it to look lighter. Is the white spot on the top of the head pretty distinct? Or is it very diffuse?

4. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    The chick is very black with a distinct white spot on its head. The spot is kinda big, but the ones in the bin with smaller head spots had no black on their legs at all. A lot of them were also lighter black if that makes sense. This one was one of the black black ones. :) If I'm wrong, that's ok, but he'll most likely be invited for dinner eventually. :(

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    From what I understand, a distinct white spot is more indicative of a female, so hopefully you got lucky. [​IMG]

6. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Sorry you dealt with such a schmuck today!! I have been there and done that! Blah!! Not 100% sure but super cute!

7. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    male. white spot blotchy, white blotch on neck. its wierd the chick looks so dark in the 2nd pic. i could be wrong.

8. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    The first pic, the chick was in direct sunlight. It's overexposed, took with my phone. The chick is very dark. :)

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I think it's a girl :thumbsup

10. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I bought 2 barred rocks a couple weeks back and both were very dark/black, had small spots on their head and both had dark legwash and one of them is turnin out to be a girl and ones turnin out to be a boy so you just never really know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by