Barred rock help, B or G?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nugget, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    Hi all, my friend just got her firsdt chicks and we're wondering if there is any hint to the gender of these barred rocks. I haven't had any before so I'm no help!
    What do you think?

A)
    [​IMG]
    B)
    [​IMG]
    C)
    [​IMG]

2. Nugget

Sep 2, 2007
    I should ask, we have heard that the size of the white dot on their heads suggests if they are male or female (the reason for the photos). Is that true?

3. jemagsy

jemagsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Georgia
    I have always heard that the dot on the head meant they were female. I have only had one - she's a she and she looked pretty much then like your BR does now.

The first picture - is it the same chick? I'd say update us with pictures at about 3-5 weeks and it will be easier to tell then.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd say it's a bit to early to tell. They look like my BR pullets did when they were babies.

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Boy - Girl - Boy. The barring gene gives the white. Boys have a double dose. The girls will have a smaller more "distinct" head spot. The boys will have a larger fuzzier head spot.

ALSO girls have more/darker black wash on their legs.

6. Nugget

Sep 2, 2007
    Thanks for your help, they are 3 different chicks. At least my friend got 1 female in there! The farmer kept trying to drop boys in the box, my friend suspected the small dot were females and tried to drop boys back in the brooder [​IMG] it was kind of a funny little 'battle' but we really weren't sure what we were looking for.

7. plymouthrockFarm123

plymouthrockFarm123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    a and c are boys b is a girl [​IMG] c might possibly be a girl aswell but i think its a boy

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by