Barred Rock hen and White Rock roo?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by raroo, Nov 7, 2009.

1. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    So right now we have a flock of white rocks, but we are considering getting some barred rocks in the future. We're not sure if we want to keep a barred rock roo and keep the two types separate, or just keep the Barred hens in with the Whites.

We are wondering what would develop by breeding the barred hens with the white roo. Do the whites carry a recessive barring gene? Would crossing the two result in either barred, or white? Or something else? Sorry, I'm not familiar at all with how genetics works. [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any input! [​IMG]

2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Recessive White masks other colours & patterns. Best guess is that your Whites are masking normal Barred Rocks. To know for sure what you will get you will just have to do the mating & find out. Continuous mating of your coloured pullets to a White male will eventually result in all White birds.
    David
    PS For a better understanding of Chicken Colour Genetics have a look at chickencolours.com

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Barring is not recessive in white birds. There is another term for the expression of the barring gene on white birds it is called hypostatic, the barring is hidden under the white. The barring gene is hypostatic to recessive white or dominant white. There is a good chance that the white rocks carry barring.

Crossing a white rock with a barred rock will most likely produce black offspring or black barred offspring. All of the males will be barred. The females can be black or some black and some barred or all barred. It depends on if the white carries: none, one or two barring genes.

Tim

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    We are wondering what would develop by breeding the barred hens with the white roo.

I am not shure how that cross would come out but I know if you cross a Barred Rock cock on a White Rock hen you will get what is called a Silver Barred hybrid..
    If you go to http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html and about the 5th and 6th row of pictures is the Silver Barred hybrid (roosters only)...

Chris​

5. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    *nods head* Ahhh, OK. Thanks so much for your responses everyone! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by