Barred rock hen cross with copper maran or easter egger

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by luludaxia, Mar 28, 2017.

1. luludaxia

luludaxia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    I have some barred rock hens running with copper marans or easter egger roosters (black). I hatched some of their eggs. Some of the chicks look like barred rock, I think they will grow into roosters. Some of the chicks are black with some bars on their chest, are they daughters? But I think the barred chromosome of the hen would not be passed on to their daughters, why they are still barred partially?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    A barred hen can only pass her barring gene to her male offspring.

3. luludaxia

luludaxia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    I found a thread here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/711826/barred-rock-cross-sexing

A barred or cuckoo hen under a non barred or cuckoo rooster will usually make what's referred to as black sex links. Not every rooster will work, things like dominant white can mess it up, but your red/buff/black roos will work. As stated, males will have a light spot on the top of the head, females will have a solid dark head. The males will grow up barred, the females will be solid or have leakage of varying degrees on the throat/neck/chest, depending on the roo used for the cross.

What does he mean by leakage?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The 'leakage' on the females is referring to red/gold expressing on a bird that hatched as a solid black. It is dependant on the genetics of the rooster though. Rhode Island Red roosters, which are the most commonly used as the rooster to produce hatchery black sexlinks, tend to produce females with red/gold throughout the head, neck, and chest.
    It's unlikely that your roosters will produce females with as much color. My black sexlinked Easter Egger hens are usually solid black and never develop any leakage.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by