1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock Hen Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MacFarmer, Jan 20, 2014.

1. MacFarmer

MacFarmer New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    We are brand new at this and our hen who is about 5 mo. is not well! She laid on Saturday, but before she did she was lethargic, standing in one spot, eyes closed, feathers puffed. Since she laid she's had the same behavior. No eating or drinking. Will hop up on roost but no activity. Comb/face still red. Help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. She could have coccidiosis if she is having diarrhea. I would treat her and the rest with Corid (amprollium) 2 tsp liquid or (1 tsp of powder) per gallon of water for 5 days. Corid is in the cattle meds section of most feed stores. Search her skin especially under the vent for any mites or lice. Consider worming her with fenbendazole (SafeGuard) Horse Paste or Liquid Goat Wormer 1/2-3/4 ml by mouth, and repeat in 10 days. It's good that she has laid, but check her vent with a lubed finger just in case she is having some egg binding issues.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. MacFarmer

MacFarmer New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    No diarrhea. Tried the warm water treatment for egg binding. Seemed to perk her up a bit but she is still not right. Is there a way to attach a picture/video?

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Even in the absence of diarrhea I think I'd treat with a round of Corid just to be on the safe side. It certainly will do no harm if this is something else but you will save her life if indeed she is brewing a nice case of coccidiosis. You have to start somewhere so I'd start by ruling out the thing that can kill her the fastest.

5. MacFarmer

MacFarmer New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    Ok. Does it affect eggs? Eating etc?

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Treating with Corid does not effect the eggs-- you can still eat them safely. Corid is only a thiamine blocker, its not like an antibiotic.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think most people put the video up on YouTube, then send a link here. You can check inside the vent for a stuck egg.

8. MacFarmer

MacFarmer New Egg

Jan 20, 2014
    Ok so she's been better but now she's acting fine and then will suddenly just fall over on her side. We were sure she was dead but when we picked her up she stood up and walked off. What in the world?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by