Barred Rock HEN (I hope)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rnorris1234, Jul 16, 2010.

1. rnorris1234

rnorris1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    Hey all, I have a BR that I think is a hen. She has a very differnt shape and look than the Roo, but her comb is starting to turn red. I could use some assurance on this one. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    "Her" name is Lady Jane Frizzypants (my daughter named her). She is about14-16 weeks old.

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Sorry to say but I believe that is a roo. It is very light and comb is getting red.

3. schatze17

schatze17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    I'm going to guess roo. My 4 BR pullets are more black with smaller stripes of white and a lighter comb.

4. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    sorry but it kind of looks like a roo, the stripes are very wide and the comb is turnig very red, so im gonna guess roo, guess you'll have to rename "her"... [​IMG] lol but i guess we'll see... [​IMG]

5. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    How old is it?

I have two barred rock hens and one is a lot darker than the other so I don't always believe you can tell from color alone.

6. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    My guess is roo. Not only by the comb, but solid colored feathering ogf the tail.

7. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I'm going to go against the grain and guess this is a pullet. The tail looks a little roo-ish, but I disagree about the coloring and barring. Her head, legs and body look decidedly feminine to me. Will you let us know?

8. rnorris1234

rnorris1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Fort Payne, AL
    I will let you know when I know. He/She is about 14-16 weeks old. The other roo was easy to tell from only a few weeks old. He was red fast and much larger legs and feet and overall size. He is one of my favorite chicks and this one will have to go if it turns out to be a roo too. I may have to go out shopping for a BR pullet! My wife is ready for some eggs! And that roo's just not going to cooperate in that department. For now, I'm still holding out hope for a pullet.

9. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    If she is 14-16 weeks old....I say PULLET!!

I have a "lot of plymouth rocks" as my user name says and my 8 week old BR roos have a bigger comb than hers

10. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Speckledhen is the authority on the BRs, but that looks like a hen to me, especially at 14-16 weeks - she may be reddening up because she's going to start laying soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by