Barred Rock Hen Lopsided Tail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NorthernMIFlock, May 20, 2019.

1. NorthernMIFlock

NorthernMIFlock Songster

Jun 25, 2018
    Northern MI
    IMG_3244.JPG IMG_3244.JPG IMG_3244.JPG IMG_3245.JPG I have an 11.5 month old Barred Rock hen that constantly has off-center tail feathers. She is also my only hen that has consistently poopy fluff feathers which I have to trim regularly, not sure if that's related or not. She eats and drinks normally and is laying eggs almost daily. They free range after they lay eggs in the morning and she is keeping up fine with all the other girls. What could be causing this?Should I be concerned? It's very obvious but hard to capture in photos.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

It's genetic and known as wry tail. Not likely related to the poo bumm.. I have raised hundreds of birds and only some get that constant grossness. Not sure if it's related to simply not squatting far enough or pushing with enough force to expel it well. :sick

It's always good to double check you don't have a build up of lice or mites there under the vent.. as it *can* (doesn't mean is) be an indicator. I have even had fecal floats done to confirm internal parasite load since SOOO many peep swear it means you have worms. NOPE.

While it looks funny and isn't a trait you should breed forward... it really isn't a problem in general. :)

Funny... you should see how deep the dirt bathing chasm next to my house is. Your's is like junior version. :p

coach723 and NorthernMIFlock like this.
  3. NorthernMIFlock

NorthernMIFlock Songster

Jun 25, 2018
    Northern MI
    Good to know! I appreciate your reply :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: