Barred rock, hen or roo?Comb pic added.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by taraann81, Dec 17, 2009.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Since they can be visually sexed, I'd like some advice from you guys who have more experience.

My guess is roo, head spot seems large, but it does have a dark wash over front of legs.

What do you think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is a cockerel, IMO. There is barely any dark on the leg fronts and males do have that much most of the time. The headspot is a male headspot as is the down color. Some fool you, as my Lexie did with her "bigger than normal for a girl" headspot, but your little one has lots of "frosting" across the back of the head.

This article shows great pics about this subject. Same rules for Doms or BRs
    http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    It looks like a little rooster..
    Do you have a better pic. of the comb? It doesn't look to have a Single Comb.. Do you know if it has a Single Comb or a Rose Comb?

Chris

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I was noticing that, too, Chris. I think it's a Dom, unless the light is fooling me about that comb.

5. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    [​IMG]
    he looks identical to this guy when he was that age
    i say roo as well

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:That is what I was thinking... That also could be the reason for the lighter legs....

Chris

7. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I tried to get a better pic of his comb but was unsuccessful(I am a novice with comb types, so can't tell you) ( he is the first generation hatched from my own chickens, we bought as barred rocks from a small local hatchery). There is a very slight chance his father could have been a silkie cross as I rehomed those roos about a week before I incubated this egg, but when he hatched he looked pure so I assumed he was a barred rock. If there is doubt about his parentage I could post pics of my supposed barred rock roos and hens in the morning. Could you tell me what the identifying fator is between the two breeds?

8. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Okay here is the best pic of his comb I could get, I don't know how to cut the glare without making the photo too dark. Now I am curious
    [​IMG]

9. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    can you do a side close up of the comb

10. taraann81

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    NO!!! I tried and it just turns into a big glare and blur. Maybe in the daylight tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by