Barred Rock HEN or ROO - follow up - She's a HEN!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kittykat01, Sep 28, 2011.

1. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    Hi
    This is my Barred Rock 'Matilda' . She was sold to me as a pullet, and is, by my reckoning about 23 weeks old. She has not started laying yet, and has recently become really bossy and loud. She used to friendly, but is now stand offish. Although she looks like a girl to me (no hackle or saddle feathers), she is quite tall and slim through the body. I am beginning to wonder if she /HE is just a late bloomer?

I heard a funny noise coming from the coop this morning.... buk buk CockaAAA buk!! I know it was not one of the Australorps, they have a different 'voice' and both lay eggs anyway, and the young sussex chicks still have their baby voices, so Matilda is my prime suspect. What do you all think? Is she a SHE or a HE?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    she looks like a he to me

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    She is a pullet. The barred rock roosters are much lighter than the hens.

4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    pullet shes just trying to figure out her big girl voice..

5. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Pullet. I think she might be trying out for the egg song chorus. But just practicing still obviously.

6. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    She's definitely a she and she'll most likely be laying any day. Right before they start they become loud, bossy and sometimes downright obnoxious. [​IMG] Well, I guess I'd probably be too given what she's got in store for her lol! [​IMG]

7. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    I'm so glad most opinions are HEN! [​IMG] Don't tell the other chickens, but Matilda is my favourite (or was before she became such a brat lately!). I would hate her to be a roo as we can't have roosters here and she would probably end up as someones dinner [​IMG]

8. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Definitely a hen who is practicing her egg song. I'd be watching for eggs soon! My Barred Rock is the loudest of my bunch. She ALWAYS has something to say! [​IMG]

9. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    My BR pullet at 7-weeks, Barbara, giving me the "look":
    [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There is no question you have a BR pullet. She's very pretty! BRs are my favorite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by