Barred Rock...Hen or Roo?

4 chicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Illinois
2 1/2 weeks old. Hopefully a hen!! We have 2 and this one is much bigger

Dark coloration is the big factor. A cockerel would be lighter. Less reliable indicators include a confined white head spot and a dark wash on the leg.

Thank you everyone for your response, I hope you are all right!! I realize she is still young but I am just terrified that I am going to have a cockerel. I just love this forum...I learn so much from it!!

Dark coloration is the big factor. A cockerel would be lighter. Less reliable indicators include a confined white head spot and a dark wash on the leg.
Wanna take a guess on my 5 week old BR?
e32ffca5.jpg
Dark wash, not as light as the obvious boys, but that comb is throwing me off!
3193759f.jpg
Boy - same age for comparison. They are not hatchery stock. From exhibition stock.

4 Chicks: That baby looks almost exactly the way my girls looked just a few weeks ago :)

Aoxa: Hmmmm, I would guess boy but I am still very new to this. I have done a lot of research over the last few weeks trying to figure out what I have. I'm 90% sure I have all ladies. This one looks lighter than the girls although not as light as your boy. And that comb looks like it's turning red. My girls are 6 weeks old now and they are only now starting to get a very slight hint of red on the bottoms of their combs.

4 Chicks: That baby looks almost exactly the way my girls looked just a  few weeks ago :)

Aoxa: Hmmmm, I would guess boy but I am still very new to this. I have done a lot of research over the last few weeks trying to figure out what I have. I'm 90% sure I have all ladies. This one looks lighter than the girls although not as light as your boy. And that comb looks like it's turning red. My girls are 6 weeks old now and they are only now starting to get a very slight hint of red on the bottoms of their combs. 
I've been told barring in exhibition chicks is completely different than hatchery bred birds. The barring is much darker than the boys, but the white in the barring shows more than the other obvious girls.

She/he had a very small distinct head spot at a day old, and the legs have the most dark wash out of all five - so I am hopeful :p

Wanna take a guess on my 5 week old BR?
e32ffca5.jpg

Dark wash, not as light as the obvious boys, but that comb is throwing me off!
3193759f.jpg

Boy - same age for comparison.
They are not hatchery stock. From exhibition stock.

It's a close call, but I think it's a pullet -- too dark to be a cockerel. I've been thrown off by big combs on pullets before.

Back
Top Bottom