1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock - hen or rooster? RESULT = HEN

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vermontgal, Aug 27, 2008.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

**** And the result - a hen. Somewhat scrawny and inclined to peck, but a hen. ***

Here are some photos of my barred rock at age 8 weeks, and also at age 3 weeks. I have two barred rocks.

One of them is clearly a pullet. Fortunately she is my favorite chicken, and the feeling seems to be mutual as she is very friendly to me. Also a good forager, you should see her chase the mosquitos in the yard -- will make a person dizzy!

Then there's this other one (in the photos). Even at age 3 weeks, a larger comb. Now, at 8 weeks, the comb is bigger than the pullet's, but still not huge. This chicken tends to peck me. Walks fairly upright. The tail is not that different than the pullet's. The comb has been gradually getting redder, but hasn't been growing as much as I thought it would when it showed up early on.

The chick has a black splash on the feet - it is just a little lighter than the pullet's. When the chicks were small I didn't know (yet) to look for the way the white spot on the head is shaped, but from these photos, the two chicks look fairly similar. The chick is just a little whiter overall than the pullet, but not much.

Opinions?

At three weeks - the questionable chick is closer to the feeder.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At eight weeks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I think it is a roo.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Roo

4. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    same here should strat crowing anyday if he is my barred rock rooster started at 3 months

5. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    He looks a lot like my BR roo at that age.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I hope it's a pullet because that's what mine looked like at that age. They are now almost 18 weeks and haven't changed much.

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    this is mine at 4 months old to compare....... I think yours might just have a big comb. I think it would have waddles if it were a boy. You might have a tough one to sex.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  8. vermontgal

Well, lurky, mine is only 2 months and the comb looks almost as big as yours. I guess time will tell.

If he is a rooster, then I am either going to:

A) Eat him, or
    B) Stop eating chicken.

Fortunately, I don't LIKE him. However, it does seem like he and the pullet like each other, and so I'll only feel a little bad for her. I don't think I could eat the pullet.

9. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    It may be a girl, the barring looks more girly...

10. vermontgal

Thanks for the opinions!

I think this one is either a girly-boy or a boyish-girl... In any case, it's reassuring that there's mixed opinions, here, too. I go back and forth about it myself ever day or so!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by