Barred Rock Hen pooping out green poop.

mcintyrelr20

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2017
Hi! My 2 year old barred Rock Hen has been pooping out emerald green poop, and she has been very lethargic(not eating) She has been drinking medicated water (for worms). Today, I was cleaning her vent of all the green poop, and she started regurgitating blood. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to help her? Thanks so much! --mcintyrelr20

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    515.2 KB · Views: 21
Bright green poop is a sign of not eating much. But vomiting blood is definitely not normal. She could have eaten something sharp that has punctured her digestive tract. Chickens swallow glass, screws and other hardware, staples and other sorts of things they find lying around. I would try to get her to a vet. Isolate her for now with food and water. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, somewhat full, firm or puffy? Check her poops again tomorrow to see if they have changed. Inwould try to give her some watery feed and cooked egg, and plain yogurt would be good.

Regurgitating blood isn't normal for any animal.
You can tell us your state so we can suggest a place to take the bird in case it passes.
If it is more blue/green fluorescent feces, it may be from moldy grain or feed that has been wet.
That would be my guess because other things are rare.
Otherwise it could be lymphoid leukosis, bluecomb, influenza, spiroketosis, chlamydiosis or ochraoxicosis.

Ok, I'm feeding her watery feed now. I'll try to see if I can take her to the vet. Thank you so much for the quick reply! --Mcintyrelr20

Back
Top Bottom