1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred rock hen sex link question

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by hemsandchicks, May 12, 2016.

1. hemsandchicks

hemsandchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Hi there. We are currently hatching a handful of eggs from our laying hens. I had 2 hatch that are black, so I am guessing they were from our barred rock hen. We have an Easter Egger roo who is the father of all of the chicks. Because he is not a pure Ameracauna, will the combination make a sex link? They are black and gray except for these spots on their heads.

2. hemsandchicks

hemsandchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Not sure if this uploaded or not

3. Wappoke

Wappoke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2015
    Yes that is a sex linked cross if the easter egger is not barred. black with spots on head are males, black with no spots are females

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You should be getting sex links. As long as the rooster isn't barred or white, they're genetically sex linked. The down color may make spots hard to see, but on black chicks they're easy peasy. Congrats on your pullets [​IMG] and hopefully they lay green eggs for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by