Barred Rock Hen waddle turning blue. Very watery droppings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bhaugh, Aug 23, 2013.

1. bhaugh

bhaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    My BR Helen, I noticed tonight, waddle is turning blue on top. She hasnt been laying very regular as she has in the past and her droppings are almost water. She is still her bratty self and eats likes crazy. She is still drinking. Sneezes on ocassion. Eyes are bright and her vents look good. She still talks to me to ask for her usual treats. I'm more worried about her very wet droppings.

An egg that I had last week....the yolk was flat and had some odd something in it. Didnt look like a worm or anything but I'm wondering if all is related. She is about a year and half.

Barb

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There are a number of things that could be wrong. Does she feeel like she may have lost some weight, even though she eats well? Does her keel (greast bone) stick out? Worms are one explanation for this, especially if you have never given a chemical wormer, as the worms actually eat a lot of what the chicken consumes. Worms can definitely cause watery stools. They can also interfere with their immune response and cause digestive upsets. The wassle turning blue is a sign of decreased circulatin to the area -- which could have a number of causes. Heart disease can do this, although usually the comb turns blue first.

A pic would have helped a lo to to identify what was wrong with that egg.

They can also get watery stools for a number of reasons, including simple hot weather, from drinking extra water.

Also, if you haven't, check closely for lice/mites, which can make them quite ill if it is a heavy load.

I would give Valbazen 0.5 ml by mouth (squirt it in her mouth or put it on a bit of bread), repeat in 19 days, toss eggs for 21 days, if you want to try treating for worms .

Safeguard also works. If you are in the UK, I believe the drug used is Panacur.

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ll-seeing-live-worms-in-poo/0_20#post_9315842

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

3. bhaugh

bhaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks for replying. Her waddle is back to its normal color and I wonder if it had anything to do with the yogurt she ate. That was the only thing different that she had. I will need to find a vet that will do a fecal for me. I do not worm without knowing what I'm treating for.

Her shells are still really fragile even though she has free access to oyster shell. Is there a different calcium supplement I can give that might work better? I live in Vegas so its still pretty hot here. Today its storming so it is cooler outside.

Helen enjoys her dust baths and I keep an eye on all the chickens for lice. I know anise works well for lice. Ive used it in my rescue. Can you spray chickens with anise?

Barb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by