Barred Rock hen with head ripped off!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jun 19, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Well, last night when I went to lock my chickens in, something closed their door, so I opened it up, and then went back out 15 min. later to close up the coop.

Then this morning, as I was making my rounds, I spotted something laying down by the pond, so I finished giving the ducks food and water, and went to see what it was.

Well as I got closer, I saw my only Barred Rock hen laying dead on the ground. Her head was ripped off, her crop was pulled out, and her one side the skin was ripped off and bites were taken out. I am so mad!!!!

Im pretty sure it was a raccoon, because I saw muddy raccoon prints on my new coop that I made.

I have a live trap, that I will set tonight! I dont know what to do with it after I catch it. I guess I will have to shoot it. Ugh!

The first raccoon death of the year. Im going to miss her alot. She was so sweet, and always laid me a jumbo sized egg every day.

Do you think it was a raccoon?

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    considering you saw racoon tracks, yes

Several predators rip the heads off, but given the evidence, you pretty much have determined it was a racoon already. It will be back, too.

3. SundownWaterfowl

I think that it has learned what time I lock up the coop, and it will come back before the coop gets locked up. I wont be letting the chickens out until I catch it.

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    If you do catch it, which I hope you do, you can drop the whole trap into a barrel of water. An eye for an eye method.

Or you could transport it several miles away, and release it. Either way problem gone...

5. SundownWaterfowl

eww... i couldnt drown it. I think I might transport it to another family members woods. unless, it looks sickly, then I will have to shoot it.

6. 6chix

6chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Western Ma
    Go for the lead poisoning route. If you don't you will be sorry.

7. buc

buc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    Quote:I agree completely, Relocation of a racoon is not the route to go, you might just be relocating the problem.

Given my trapping of racoons last year, my strongest advice is if you trap one do not for a minute think you have this problem solved, continue to set the trap. Last year I trapped and killed 18 of them.

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I'd nail the carcass to the coop for all the other raccoons and predators to see and post the following sign...

"This is what happens to assassins around here" [​IMG]

9. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Kill it and then be prepared it could have babies that will then come looking for their own food. You may need to keep that trap out for awhile until you catch them all. Good luck

10. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    We relocated several to the wildlife management area where my husband hunts, until their sheer numbers overwhelmed us. We set two traps at a time, and they just kept coming! The raccoon flow is beginning to slow now, thank goodness. I hope that's a trend that holds. I swear, the next one we get, I'm having Alex feed to the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by