Barred Rock hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littleloveblue, Aug 22, 2011.

1. littleloveblue

littleloveblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am assuming she is a hen. She is around 16 weeks old. She has always been slightly bigger and lighter colored... but the color difference isn't hugely noticeable... she's more grey. She has always had a slightly bigger comb but now it is huge and red and so are her wattles, while my other two of the same age are much different looking. I'm assuming she is just getting ready to start laying, but her behavior has become much more aggressive lately too. She has started biting (though she is not mean in any other way) and she chases off birds and squirrels in the yard. Myabe just a strong personality?!

Let me know what you think!

2. creekrats

creekrats Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    I think you may have a roo there. Most of the time, roos are lighter in color than pullets.

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    It appears that the chicken does have some dark to the fronts of the legs, but my 16 week old pullet does not have such a big comb. I would guess it is a cockerel. (Esp. with it's behavior)

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    My Barred Rock had a large comb and was very aggressive (alpha) just like your bird and she was a hen. That part does not mean much but the color is what concerns me. All of the barred rocks I have seen that are as white as your chicken have been cockerels. Mine was much darker. I think she is a he. Sorry

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Looks like a nice, fat, dominant type hen to my eyes.

[​IMG]

6. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a Hen, no doubt, for sure!!!!

A very pretty one btw!!!!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

She's a hen. [​IMG]

8. littleloveblue

littleloveblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    ok, I was starting to get really nervous at first!! now that people are saying hen i'm starting to sweat a little bit less! i hope you are right. maybe rosalita is just a bit "moody" and getting ready to lay? i hope?!

9. MichenerFarm

MichenerFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    The Wild West
    She looks a lot like my Barred Rock hens- the combs & wattles on my girls are huge. My vote is for a hen.

10. MichenerFarm

MichenerFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    The Wild West
    Here's one of my 26 week old Barred Rock hens...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by