1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock - Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JackieandChicks, Aug 9, 2013.

1. JackieandChicks

JackieandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Okay, when it rains, it - well, Chicken Maths :). My neighbor with chickens (free ranging) was given a few barred rock roosters. One promptly ran over to my flock. The neighbor said to keep it if it ended up with me (and I do have someone to take roosters as I seen to have too many) but....I'm not sure this is a rooster.

[​IMG]
    It's very wild, slept in my barn last night under feed sacks until I found it this am. Put it in my pen and it freaked out. Now is already part of the flock. If a hen, I feel like I should offer her something even tho I know they were given to her.

Thanks...again!

2. linuxman

linuxman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2012
    How old? I am pretty sure that this is a hen, especially if it is over 4 month old.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It's a hen, but it is a mix, not that it matters if all you want is a layer.

4. JackieandChicks

May 8, 2013
    Yeah, all I want is layers. It's now dubbed "Mystery Hen" as it's wandered off...probably back to the other flock. Which is fine...I have just gotten two more EE hens tonight :)

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She is a hen. I'm not sure of the breed; the coloring is reminiscent of a Cuckoo Marans, but (I believe?) she has yellow legs, and Cuckoo Marans have white legs. The coloring is too course for her to be a Barred Rock. It is likely that she is a mix.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree, mixed breed barred hen.
    Hey, Easter eggers are good, too!

7. JackieandChicks

May 8, 2013
    I really like my EEers. Have 8 hens now. Almost took the roo they had, too but decided I needed to back down on the roos first. Plus I am growing out two blue cochin chicks...and should wait until I see what they are :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by