1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock Hens..24 weeks...could one be a rooster?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by poulet2016, Oct 3, 2016.

1. poulet2016

poulet2016 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    Hello!
    Our girls are 24 weeks now and we are getting some eggs which is so exciting. There is one hen that I am a little worried could be a cockerel though- she/he's definitely the top of the pecking order, bossing everyone else around, has always been a few days ahead in terms of development (her comb and wattle came in first) and was a tiny bit bigger than our other 2 barred rocks when they were little. Now they are the same size and their combs/wattles look the same..but the one in question is a little bit darker overall than the other two an her tail is a little more upright..this is what worries me. I did see her/him kind of jump on one of the other hens also the other day- I don't know if it was just being domineering or he was mounting the hen!
    So..if you are one of those people who can tell by photos...I got a bunch of the three of them together today..can you tell?!
    thanks!
    Val
    p.s. no crowing![​IMG]

The one I am talking about is in the middle here amongst the 3 barred rocks.[​IMG]
    in the middle here (above)
    .[​IMG]
    munching on the sunflower right in front..see how she is darker by her head?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Definitely pullets.

3. Marianne25

Marianne25 Out Of The Brooder

Hi! Here is a pic of my Barred Rock rooster at around the same age (23 weeks). In general the males are lighter than the females, but their hackle and saddle feathers (on the roos) are unmistakable.
    [​IMG]

4. poulet2016

May 31, 2016
    Oh that makes me feel much better!! Thank you!!

5. poulet2016

May 31, 2016
    Thank you! Relieved to hear it.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullets

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    All pullets, she's just the dominant female in the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by