Barred Rock Ladies by Request (Added Blue Orpingtons)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Jan 22, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm posting pics of my current BR ladies for someone. As most know, Lexie and Ivy are about 4 years old and both are Ideal girls. Becca and Amanda came from helmstead's flock, which was a generation or so removed from hatchery stock. Fern, nutty girl that she is, is the daughter of Ivy. My largest hens are Amanda and Ivy, followed by Becca and Fern, then little Lexie trails the pack in size, but not in attitude.

Amanda:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Becca

[​IMG][B]Here's Fern in the foreground, with Amanda in back[/B]:

[IMG]http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv95/Mtnviewpoultry/Laying%20Flock/DCP_4449.jpg

Ivy, mother to Fern:

[​IMG]

Fern:

[​IMG]

Little Lexie, mother of Dutch, Zane, and Mace, who is really starting to show her age with arthritic feet, poor girl

[​IMG]

and big Dutch, who has his dad, Hawkeye's, very deep body. He's getting over his molt, so this is a younger picture of him:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. Manok-Tao

Manok-Tao Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    W-S NC
    Just sent you an PM then saw this post of yours. I'm excited that 1 of the pullets I'm getting is a BR, she's got the lighter shade (a bit more white), kind of like Lexi.
    Anyway your birds look great!!!!

3. speckledhen

That Lexie kept me and alot of folks guessing for awhile with her cockerel-like coloring. She had all signs of being a sexing mistake, but obviously, she was a girl. She's mother to many birds around BYC, but she is really showing her age in her face and now has bad arthritis in her feet, poor baby. You'll like your BR pullet, I'm sure!

4. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    I finally got a picture of my hen, I call the circus chicken performing. I've had several inquiries about the cage I have over the water dish in my run. It's an antique I found in an old chicken coop from a chicken farm of yester year. About 70 years old. There have been a few coments of how it must do a good job of keeping the dirt out of the water, and for the most part it does. Except for this one hen "circus chicken" Anyway here she is at her best. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    Speckledchicken,
    I hope I didn't step on your thred. I'm not too good at the technical stuff. I guess I should have started a new thred, I'm not sure how you do that. I apoligize. [​IMG]
    By the way your chickens are beautiful [​IMG]

6. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Your girls are so healthy and bright! I hope my little ones grow into girls like yours. How are they laying? I hear BR's are great layers and of great personality w/o any aggressiveness.

7. speckledhen

They're great layers. Ivy and Lexie still lay several eggs each week, usually, though they are 4 years old. Ivy has almost died twice from reproductive infections, but she has bounced back and looks good again. Lexie is finishing her molt right now, but when she's done, I'm sure I'll get 3-4 eggs weekly from her and Ivy each. Almost every day, I get an egg from Fern (she isn't a year old yet) and about four to five eggs a week from Becca and Amanda, who are approaching 3 years old. When they are young, they rarely miss a day, these BR ladies. None of the BRs except for Ivy have ever had reproductive issues, or even bumblefoot. They are quite healthy ladies.

8. speckledhen

I'm adding my blue Orpington girls for joletabey to check out. She has a cockerel out of Smoky and Suede, called Ultrasuede, and I'm hatching six of Dusty's eggs so he can have some women. Here they are. The last pic is my late Skye, who was really superior to these two, but Dusty and Smoky do produce some nice kids with Suede's influence, as witnessed by Thor, Cetawin's boy. Dusty went broody twice last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my Skye, may she rest in peace:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Very luffely BR's Speckledhen. I love BR's. So much personality. [​IMG]

Blue Orps are very pretty too. [​IMG]

10. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I want! I want! I want several eggs from each of your pairings Cyn...eventually...just let me get the hang of this incubating thing before I put any of your eggs at risk! And then you know I'm going to be pounding on your door, begging for eggs....so to speak! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by