Barred Rock Laid Her First Egg!

CountryGirl3294

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2015
Indiana
My BR Pullet laid her first egg yesterday and another today! Only 22 weeks old, but dang her eggs are tiny! Barely anything to eat! When should I expect her eggs to increase in size? I purchased BRs because of their large brown eggs. I have people wanting to buy eggs from me but I would fell bad selling these tiny eggs to them.

Last edited:
Cute wee egg! I love wee pullet eggs :) They can take a few weeks to increase in size. Most of my pullets are laying decent sized eggs after a couple of months.

Can take a few weeks, or a few months, for pullet eggs get up to a 'large' or 'extra large' weight.

I weigh my 'dozens' in 18 count cartons when I have lots of pullet eggs, rather than change my pricing.
Sometimes takes 14-16 to get up to the 26-27oz dozen weight.

The really cute, tiny eggs only last about a week in my experience. Then they get bigger very slowly for the next several weeks.

Thank you everyone for the advice! Also I noticed each time the egg is on the floor. I have six plastic milk cartons for nesting boxes and some have golf balls and others don't. When do you think she'll learn eggs are supposed to go in the nesting boxes not on the floor. Lol

Thank you everyone for the advice! Also I noticed each time the egg is on the floor. I have six plastic milk cartons for nesting boxes and some have golf balls and others don't. When do you think she'll learn eggs are supposed to go in the nesting boxes not on the floor. Lol
Some learn sooner than others.......
.......any sign they've been in there scratching around?

Some learn sooner than others.......
.......any sign they've been in there scratching around?

Scratching in the nesting boxes? I believe so but not sure. Some boxes the straw keeps thinning out and I have to replace. So possibly? I just never personally saw them go in there yet.

Congrats! The eggs will get larger over the next couple of months as her body adjusts to laying. You may see another increase in size after her first molt. My BR laid a jumbo sized egg. She doesn't lay much anymore, as she is almost 7.

Mess up the "nest" in the floor. They will find the nest boxes in time.

Milk cartons or milk crates? Milk cartons would be too small for a nest box. Milk crates would work fine.

Mess up the "nest" in the floor.  They will find the nest boxes in time.

Milk cartons or milk crates?  Milk cartons would be too small for a nest box.  Milk crates would work fine.

Sorry I meant milk crates! I was having a brain fart and couldn't think of the word crate and put carton. Cartons would be way too small! Lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom