Barred Rock lays very large, thin shelled eggs-any liquid supplements available?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momgoose, Mar 10, 2015.

1. momgoose

momgoose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    NE Tucson
    I have a 4 y/o Barred Rock hen that has always layed very large, beautiful, very thin shelled and sometimes deformed eggs. She has layed "no shell" eggs twice, and also layed a couple of "membrane only" eggs in the past. The other hens lay very thick shelled, normal appearing eggs. All the hens have calcium and grit available all the time, I feed them the fresh cut bermuda from our organic lawn and they get organic kale at least twice a week as well as flax seed and veggies and fruits that are in season. I don't let them free range because of the massive number of predators here but they are in a very large secure covered enclosure with a large airy coop attached. They get a high quality layer pellet and I toss them scratch a couple of times a week. I also give them freeze dried mealworms/crickets and boiled egg with the shell occasionally. I also save their egg shells and grind them into a powder and add that to their pellets when I fill their feeders. She broke her wing a couple years ago during a horrible wind storm but that has healed and she is able to use it normally. I read on one of the posts that thin egg shells could indicate illness. This hen appears healthy, normal weight, appetite, normal feces, no parasites, healthy skin and feathers. Any ideas? Does she have a defective egg "factory" perhaps? Is she suffering some other deficiency that could affect how she utilizes calcium? Phosphorous or vitamin D maybe? Any of you chicken "Lifers" know? Thanks a bunch!
    Terri

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Hi there! Sounds like she has a very good life, but I've got some issues with the diet. It's possible that she's eating too much of the yummy stuff, and not enough layer feed. Also, she may genetically produce this type of egg regardless of diet. Also, she is now four years of age, and things may be catching up with her. In other words, that may just be how it is.... Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by