Barred rock likes to spend the night out

lendavis

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 5, 2010
I have a barred rock, one of a flock of ten hens, who for the last few nights has disappeared and doesn't show up until dawn. She seems to be laying somewhere as my neighbor's dog now comes home with an egg from time to time. All the others lay in the hen house. I have them ranging with movable fences but they usually get out once a day. The flock stays together and explores, but the barred rock is not amongst them. How can I get her to roost in the hen house at night? And how can I get her to stay with the flock? If I can't...any suggestions aside from eating her?
L

Lock down sounds good. I'd keep one of her friends with her though. 2 inside 8 outside. BTW does the dog break the egg?? or bring it home intact?

The egg is intact. His owner is happy to get eggs!
What exactly is a lock down cage? how big? it sounds kind of cruel.
L

Oh sorry to scare you... Lock down mean to keep her in the coop during the day as well. So she can get use to where she belongs. It's an attachment thing. She needs to get the message this coop is her night time home and if they don't naturally go in at night you need to help them imprint. Not mean... It's like teaching a child not to go in the street. For their own good. Predators are outside at night , You have the responsibility to keeping them safe.

The funny thing is that she's been coming to the hen house for more than a month...so something must have happened to her.

When I have one like that it is because they are going broody and want to lay a clutch so they can sit on it and hatch them.(should be the wrong time of year) I would definitely discourage this though...the dog might not eat eggs but he might like your girl if he finds her on the nest laying! I would follow the OP thoughts and pen her up in the coop for a week or so. Terri O

Back
Top Bottom