Barred Rock lovers thread

Silviaschicks

Crest Craver
Jun 6, 2020
Crest Country
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! I couldn't find a thread for people with BRs, so here's one. I know a lot of people on here own BRs/have owned BRs at some point. This thread is for BR lovers ONLY, please do not come here to make fun of them. I currently have one BR, Henny Penny (picture heavy):
henny penny.jpg
Henny Penny 14 leaves.JPG
Henny Penny 15.JPG
Henny Penny 24 looking_2.JPG
Henny Penny 30 (rlly good quality).JPG
Henny Penny 30 w:egg.jpg
Henny Penny 37 with Soufflé photobombing.JPG
Henny Penny 42 plum.JPG
Henny Penny 48 cherries (sitting normally).jpg

Your girls are beautiful!

I had a Barred Rock named Tilly.

She has a rather, erm, unfortunate life.

When we were unpacking the chicks to put them in the brooder, she may have fallen into the toilet. We were able to rescue her, dry her off, and somehow she survived.

A few weeks later, she flew into the trash can and couldn't get out. We found her a little while later and again fixed her up. We think she may have had a few concussions or something similar. She also was partially blind in one eye, and didn't have very good predator awareness. She was skittish from day one, but once she was older, she was the sweetest thing! She would climb onto our laps, peck playfully, and was overall just amazingly sweet.

Unfortunately, Tilly died one Sunday morning.

She and her flockmates had been free ranging while we were at church. We came home to find feathers everywhere. Tilly was the only one missing. (this was a few years ago)

Rest In Peace Tilly.

I feel bad for her, but she was an amazing chicken.

Because we loved her so much, this year while picking out chicks we decided to get another Barred Rock. Cornflower is now just over 12 weeks, a little skittish but will probably be more friendly once older. (I've noticed that with most chickens)

Cornflower is pretty happy and has luckily not had any accidents like Tilly.

Anyway, I absolutely love Barred Rocks!

this year while picking out chicks we decided to get another Barred Rock. Cornflower is now just over 12 weeks, a little skittish but will probably be more friendly once older. (I've noticed that with most chickens)

Cornflower is pretty happy and has luckily not had any accidents like Tilly.

Anyway, I absolutely love Barred Rocks!
aww, sorry about Tilly. Please post pictures of Cornflower!

So I adopted an adult barred rock hen and she’s very skittish. Anyway I hatched two of her eggs under a broody hen and they came out weird looking. The father i think is a amber sex link. I was hoping I could easily identify gender but the black one that looks like a barred rock has no white spot on its head. And the other one looks like a Dalmatian lol. I’m so confused and curious what they will look like growing up.

Attachments

• 588A730B-C315-41DB-B8EF-71018EA6A72B.png
    588A730B-C315-41DB-B8EF-71018EA6A72B.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 2
  • BD6DBDC5-951A-41BB-B5CB-73DCDC98329B.jpeg
    BD6DBDC5-951A-41BB-B5CB-73DCDC98329B.jpeg
    580.2 KB · Views: 2
  • B6A6B3E4-37D1-42AE-B89C-CADE7B5375E4.jpeg
    B6A6B3E4-37D1-42AE-B89C-CADE7B5375E4.jpeg
    985.5 KB · Views: 2
I got 3 Barred Rocks.
33 months old.
20210212_172620_resized.jpg

I like them enough to get 4 more.
20210527_175317_resized.jpg

Shown with RIR yesterday at 17 days old.
They are very friendly and laid lots of eggs their first year, and two still give me 4 to 5 eggs each weekly. GC

Attachments

• 20210527_175317_resized.jpg
    20210527_175317_resized.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 2
aww, sorry about Tilly. Please post pictures of Cornflower!
Thanks. She was a good chicken.

A few photos of Cornflower from 4-6 weeks. (I don't currently have many good photos of her older)

Attachments

• cornflower 2.jpeg
    cornflower 2.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 1
  • cornflower 3.jpeg
    cornflower 3.jpeg
    753.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Cornflower 1.jpeg
    Cornflower 1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
I purchased what I was told was a barred rock pullet along with 2 asian black chicks early this spring. When posting early at 4 and then 8 weeks, folks in the Breed/Gender forum were saying she was either a black sex link cockerel or asian black cockerel and not a barred rock. Now she is ~15 wks and I am fairly confident she is in fact a she. The reasoning for folks saying she was a he and not PBR was the leg color. You can see pics below at 4 wks, 8 wks and 15 wks. When she was very small, her legs were almost all black. As she has aged she now has what i would consider yellow-ish legs with a significant amount of dark wash on the front. My question is on breeding quality, are all PBR having very yellow legs or can this vary based on hatchery quality, etc? Can you give your thoughts on my girl below?
7.jpg
8.jpg
Barred 1.jpg
Barred 2.jpg
Birds 7 4.14.jpg
June 5.jpg
June 8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom