Barred Rock - Male or Female

BellevueOmlet

Songster
9 Years
Jul 10, 2010
I have one Barred Rock and two Americaunas. I am pretty sure the two are female but do not know about the barred rock since there is nobody to compare her to. I have thought she was a female the whole time but then she recently started making a lot of noise, not exactly crowing but the others never make any noise so I am concerned. Plus her comb grew a ton. They are 19 weeks old and no eggs yet so the easy way of telling has not yet presented itself. What do you think, is she a boy or girl?

62744_102_5212.jpg

62744_102_5208.jpg

62744_102_5214.jpg

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
It is a hen, that noise you are hearing is called the egg song. At nineteen weeks, she should lay her first egg any day now! The egg song is when they get that age and are about to start laying so they make a lot of noise. Pretty Hen!

Pullet, looks like she might start laying soon due to her comb and wattles.

Pullets are darker and Rooster are lighter in comparison.

Here's a picture of my little roo at about 8 weeks, see the lighter stripes.

DSC_0101.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply.
smile.png
You have taken a huge weight off my shoulders. Periwinkle (BR) has the most personality and a delightful pet. I have been very stressed trying to figure out what to do. Thank you so much.
big_smile.png
I hope you are right as I agree completely since she seems a bit squaty and stays low like a hen.

My 19 week BR pullet, Pet, looks almost identical to yours. We are waiting patiently or not so patiently for her first egg. She is our oldest chicken and has always been the most vocal. She talks almost nonstop when I am out in the yard or run. She and our 9 week old BR pullet are my favorites.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom