Barred Rock - Male or Female

Pullet.
big_smile.png

I think she is a girl. I hatched 3 Barred Rocks. 2 look to be boys and one girl. The boys really do look lighter! Boys are more grey when you squint. When they were new chicks I could tell in the down, too. The boys were grey down and the girl had more of a black and white with less blended areas. I also heard that boy barred rock chicks can have a yellow spot. Both my boys did. Just a small spot on the head but the under belly down of the boys also had a hint of yellow. My girl was black/white.

We had two BR roos that we re-homed about 2 weeks ago, along with all of his male friends. We've since gotten 4 BR pullets that are now about 8 weeks old.

As you can see in the following picture, taken when they were about 9-10 weeks old, the feathers of a BR roo are a lighter gray and the comb and waddles are much larger than your pullet, who is almost twice his age. Good luck and please post when you get your first egg. I can't wait for ours. I think I'm more excited about getting fresh eggs than my kids are! (And, I don't even like to eat eggs!)

56716_june_24_chickens_004.jpg

Still no eggs but I am no longer stressed about it since I know they will come and I can keep her in my backyard. I will post again when she lays. Today she is 19 weeks and 2 days.

She looks just like my hen !! and she also does that clucking! I call her clucky lucky lol Pretty 4sure u've got a hen if ours were put side bysie we would not b able to tell them apart!
smile.png

It has been two weeks and the morning crow has gotten louder and longer. She wakes me up every morning. I am starting to worry again. How loud can hens be? I'm worried my neighbors will complain.

Back
Top Bottom