1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred rock maybe sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Momof2gr8kidz, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Momof2gr8kidz

Momof2gr8kidz New Egg

Aug 30, 2009
    This is my first set of chickens so need advice. My barred rock is acting funny, hangs by herself, stands around for long periods of time, acts sluggish, her comb is droopy. All the other chickens are acting what I think is normal what should I do? She may have even lost weight.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. Momof2gr8kidz

Momof2gr8kidz New Egg

Aug 30, 2009
    Also I put shavings down in the coop and every Saturday I clean the shavings out and spray and wash the coop down then lay new shavings down. There is straw in the nesting boxes that also gets changed weekly. The food hangs up, the water dies not but is changed 3 times a day. I am a clean funatic.

3. Momof2gr8kidz

Momof2gr8kidz New Egg

Aug 30, 2009
    Never mind she passed on this morning. But if any ideas let me know hate the others to get it if possible.

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I am new to this too but her comb looks pale and dry. My rooster's comb looked like this and the vet said he was severely dehydrated. He had a respiratory infection causing the dehydration. We injected Lactated Ringers solution under his skin and he got better within hours. Of course he was started on antibiotics at the same time. The dehydration was what was going to kill him if something wasn't done immediately. Your girl looks dehydrated to me.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Look for signs of sickness in other birds. Have you considered sending her for necropsy to see what caused her death?

Mary

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I am so sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

6. Freyja

Freyja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    No ideas as I'm new to chickens, but just wanted to say I'm sorry you lost her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by