Barred Rock Mix chicks - 5.5 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Grindlefamily, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    Hi everyone!

I posted pics 2 weeks ago of my suspect roos - here are some updated pictures - what do you all think??

Suspect #1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suspect #2:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well??

Louella

2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they?

edited to say .....
    I should have read the title. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  3. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is a pic of my DD holding one of my pullets. They will be 8 weeks on Wednesday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Grindlefamily

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    oh you are giving me hope again! I saw all the red and went "OH NO!" but I'll wait a bit longer - see if we have anyone that crows.

Anyone else with opinions?

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    IDK, but those look like boys to me. [​IMG] What's the other half of them? Was the dad the barred rock or the mom?

6. Grindlefamily

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    dad was barred rock - mom could be: EE, Australop, Dominique, leghorn (white or brown), BLRW, not sure if she had others, those are the ones I can remember.

We also kept one of the white chicks that hatched out (we assume mom was a leghorn) and she has a simple yellow comb so I am guessing a pullet.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I had some that were ancona x barred rock and dark cornish x barred rock. Mom was the barred rock, which made it easy to figure out the boys because they all had the barring gene and the girls were solid black. The boys feathered out quicker than the girls did.

White leghorn is probably the pullet's mother because white tends to be dominant over other colors and patterns.

8. imran_uh

imran_uh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Karachi, Pakistan
    ChicknGurl

The rooster u have in your display pic is great. lo0oks like my rooster. Tell me the breed of that rooster which is in your Display Pic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by