barred rock not acting self

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Hi, I have 2, 3.5 month old barred rocks in my flock of 17 ( various breeds). When I first got them one was quiet and keep to herself. Last few days though the other one has been acting strangely. She is normally active and forages with the rest of the flock. She is still eating and drinking but otherwise stands, with wings down and head tucked sleeping. She does not seem as strong on her legs as she should be. The last few nights I have noticed that the 2 of them have not been perching with the rest of the flock. I noted the "ill" one tries to get under the other ones wing. Almost hiding. They live in a large coop and have had access outside to forage and play for about the last week and a half. Could she have eaten something she shouldnt have??Any help would be appreciated. This is only my second month raising chickens and I am loving it.

2. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Sounds like cocci. search the term on here and see if it sounds similar. If it is coccidosis it is pretty treatable with Sulmet or Corid which you can get at TSC or the feed store. Best of luck!

3. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Thanks so much. Yip fits to a tee. We got some medication for their water and hoping for less humid and wet weather!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by