Barred Rock Olive/Oliver

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sheila3935, Aug 26, 2010.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have an 11 week old barred rock that is confusing me one time I think girl then I think boy. If it is Oliver then I have a home for him. If its Olive I will keep her. My roo Lindy is already crowing and I havent heard a peep out of her. Also Lindys comb is bigger and very red as Olives is smaller and still pink. Also Lindy has hackle feathers and Im not really seeing much on Olive. My main concern is her tail feathers the top is getting long and has a green sheen on them. So please verify for me Olive or Oliver.
    [​IMG]
    middle one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I'm saying Oliver... [​IMG] For 11 weeks that's a big comb and wattles, and the tail feathers have the green sheen and hang softly like.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Oliver. Sorry.

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Oliver.

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ive been hanging on to this one hoping against hope that it was olive but deep down knowing oliver. He is so sweet. Just doesnt act like a roo. I already have 2 roos so I guess he will have to go, or do you think he will be a boy that acts like a girl? One good thing I already have a home lined up for him with a good home so I guess if he has to go I know he will have a good life.

6. Manda0227

Manda0227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    I had a BR, and I held on to "her" until she was 3.5 months old- I was convinced she would be a she. I loved "her" so much. Never crowed, never acted like a rooster, nothing. All of a sudden almost out of nowhere saddle feathers, and the tail feathers.. She was indeed a he, I had to rehome as we are not allowed Roo's in my town.. and I knew inevitably it would crow. He looked just like yours! I would never have gotten rid of him if I was allowed to keep him...

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Looks like an Oliver to me....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by