Barred Rock Or Australorp Pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by osiel, Aug 8, 2014.

1. osiel

osiel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    Texas
    So I have 3 pullets that I bought around 5 months ago and I can't tell if they are Australorps or Barred Rocks. When I bought them at Atwood's it said they were australorps but they are covered in those white marked for feathers! I know as chicks they have some white in them but these look like exactly like barred rocks. Is this normal?

2. osiel

osiel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    Texas
    Anyone?

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I would guess somebody mixed up breeds if your "Australorps" have black and white striped feathers, they do sometimes have white tips to the wing feathers etc to start with as chicks, but they shouldn't have stripes at five months for sure.

4. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    I agree. Australorps are solid black but sometimes have a little white on the flight feathers when they are young. I'm guessing someone at Atwood's got their chicks mixed up. Barred rocks will have a white spot on their head as chicks and australorps don't. Unfortunately, lots of places that sell chicks don't know much about them. Lots of people come home with chicks that turn out to be something completely different from what they thought they were getting.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They certainly sound like Barred Rocks. Can you post a picture of them so we can ID them for sure?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    or

At five months, it should be pretty clear which is which. Actually, at hatch you can tell an Aussie from a barred Rock. The barred bird will have a white spot on the head, the Aussie will have a solid dark head on top.

7. osiel

osiel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG]

8. osiel

osiel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG]

9. osiel

osiel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG]

10. osiel

osiel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    Texas
    The last picture shows the a small black chick in the back which is one of the pullets in the other pictures. Its in the very back. It was about 2 weeks in the picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by