1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred rock or australorp? Roo or pullet? 2 weeks 2 days

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by new chick mummy, Mar 22, 2012.

1. new chick mummy

new chick mummy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    North Yorkshire, England
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. new chick mummy

Mar 15, 2012
    North Yorkshire, England
    2 weeks and 2 days old.. 1 of 5 chick's we have homed from our 5 year old daughters class. ( school project, living egg )
    Would like as much advice as possible.
    We have been reading up for weeks now but the more information we have the better. :)

3. Eowyn2

Eowyn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    I'm new to chickens and by no means an expert but I have 3 barred rock chicks in my basement and none of them have a white belly like that. I googled pictures of australorp chicks and they look like yours. So, if you're sure that's the only two options this chick could be, then it's definitely the australorp.

From what I read, it's pretty much impossible to sex australorps until they are much older. So you'll have to wait until this one crows or lays an egg. ;)

Edited to say 3 chicks, not 6. Have six chicks, but only 3 are rocks. Not awake, clearly.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I'd say he/she is a Australorpe, if he/she was a Barred Rock, you would see the barring by now. Australorpes have slate legs, so if he/she truly is an australorpe the legs will darken up. It's a little early to make guess on gender, but I would say pullet right now, I see no obvious development yet.

5. dvrkennels

dvrkennels Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    I am new to naming breeds to but I definatly have to agree.I have barred rocks myself and also have australorpe chicks.It looks to be an austrslorpe :)

6. AUSTROLORP! *yells cause excited*

still too young to sex but for now im saying pullet

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    could be a jersey giant bottom of feet yellow=jg bottom of feet pink= australorp

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    x2

9. new chick mummy

Mar 15, 2012
    North Yorkshire, England
    Thank you all so very much.
    I have just had a closer look at the legs and feet.
    Let's are getting darker all the time and the soles of the feet are yellow but pinkish in between the toes..
    Hope this helps to identify our little one.
    Thanks again :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by