Barred rock or australorp? Roo or pullet? 2 weeks 2 days

2 weeks and 2 days old.. 1 of 5 chick's we have homed from our 5 year old daughters class. ( school project, living egg )
Would like as much advice as possible.
We have been reading up for weeks now but the more information we have the better. :)

I'm new to chickens and by no means an expert but I have 3 barred rock chicks in my basement and none of them have a white belly like that. I googled pictures of australorp chicks and they look like yours. So, if you're sure that's the only two options this chick could be, then it's definitely the australorp.

From what I read, it's pretty much impossible to sex australorps until they are much older. So you'll have to wait until this one crows or lays an egg. ;)

Edited to say 3 chicks, not 6. Have six chicks, but only 3 are rocks. Not awake, clearly.

Last edited:
I'd say he/she is a Australorpe, if he/she was a Barred Rock, you would see the barring by now. Australorpes have slate legs, so if he/she truly is an australorpe the legs will darken up. It's a little early to make guess on gender, but I would say pullet right now, I see no obvious development yet.

I am new to naming breeds to but I definatly have to agree.I have barred rocks myself and also have australorpe chicks.It looks to be an austrslorpe :)

Thank you all so very much.
I have just had a closer look at the legs and feet.
Let's are getting darker all the time and the soles of the feet are yellow but pinkish in between the toes..
Hope this helps to identify our little one.
Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom