Barred rock or black sex link cockeral,,,,help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by duluthralphie, Aug 15, 2014.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I bought a mixed package from a hatchery. It was suppose to have barred rocks and black sex link both in it.

I am trying very hard to learn and see the differences, I cannot.

Some of the sex link males have very dark markings on the front of the legs making them easy. Some do not.

The combs are all the same to my untrained eye.

The chicks are about 12 weeks old. I am trying to mark them so I can decide which ones I will keep over winter and which ones will get to go to freezer camp.

I want to keep up to 16 hens and 2 roosters. I only have coop space for about 20-24 birds. I plan to allow them to have open access to a paddock all winter also.

I want a variety. I have one rooster marked to keep. Just cause he is huge and I like him. He is friendly and I enjoy his company.

I would like to keep a few barred rock hens but I cannot tell them from the Blk Sex link. I do not want to keep any blk sex link roosters,

Just so you know, personality will play as big a part in the selection s breed. BUT one barred rock hen would be nice.

If you can help me I would appreciate it.

thanks

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

By 12 weeks, a BSL cockerel would have a bigger comb as well as visible pointy saddle feathers and iridescent hackles coming in, maybe more silver in the hackles than a normal BR rooster. The barring would be very irregular with possibly a solid black tail feather or two. If you post a picture of any you are not sure of, we can tell you what you have.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When they're very young a bsl cockerel and a barred Rock hen can look quite similar. But, by 12 weeks, you should be able to determine male from female by comb and stature. Feel free to post some pics and we can help you determine who is who.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I will post some pictures from tonight's Chicken Corona Fun hour....

Thanks

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

I think this is a barred rock pullet. Small comb, pink and skinny legs. They are also more orange than the sex link males.
    [​IMG]

I think this is a pullet Barred rock too. even though the legs are thicker.

[​IMG]

Pullet Barred rock

[​IMG]
    not sure..

[​IMG]
    I think a blk sex link male, red comb and almost has hackles and are silvery

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You're correct in your guesses. The last is a BSL male, rest are BR pullets.

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on speckled hen. All are BR pullets except the last bird which is definitely a Black Sex Link cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by