Barred Rock or Black Sex Link...or ...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jschaaff, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Please forgive my ignorance, am trying very hard to learn!

I assumed Big Poppa was a Barred Rock. Daddy is a Columbian Rock (hatchery stock), momma is Barred Rock.

He has the BR pattern, but his coloring is wrong, way too dark. So... would that make him a black sex-link?...or just a barred mutt? (which I say with affection). Trying to get it right since I will likely have to rehome him.

Thank you for your help as always.

Jessa

Baby pic:

[​IMG]

4 weeks old:

[​IMG]

6 weeks old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    It looks like my barred rock PULLET at 6 weeks old.

What is making you call it he? Just curious

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    From what I understand, since momma was a barred rock, she gives her barred genes to her boys. Now if daddy was a barred rock, he'd give the barred gene also, and you'd have 2 copies of a barred gene, thus he'd be much lighter. However, since only momma gave him the barred gene, he ends up darker. That particular cross should give you sex links, where the boys are like him, and the girls will be a solid color...Im not familiar what the Columbian would give as a pattern for the girls, be it black or white.

4. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    He does not look like the Black Sex Link that I have.

5. Jschaaff

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:The spot on his head when he was a chick was large and uneven. I read that if a chick was a female, there would be no dot, or it would be a small, more uniform dot, and that males had a large, uneven dot, more of a "frosted" top to their head. I'm confused on some of my other chickens but was pretty darn sure this one was a barred rock boy until I started going through pictures on the Breed or Gender forum and realized that Barred roos are much lighter. I still assume he's a boy based on what he looked like as a chick, and the size of his comb etc, but if I'm wrong, I'll be thrilled! Would love to keep him..I mean...maybe, her. BUT, if he is a boy, curious as to what he'd be considered (a mix I know).

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Sex links are not a color, they are a cross. If you use barred rock hens as a basis for your sex links, all the boys will be barred and the girls solid, depending on the roosters used. I have used barred rock hens with my blue and splash roosters, and all the boys had white spots on their heads, and the girls had none.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  7. Jschaaff

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:That makes sense! My newest chicks are 2 weeks old from the same moms and dad. All the girls are all solid black, and the boys all look just like Big Poppa. So a sex-link, not a barred rock.

I just read a little more about the gene factor, thank you Halo, some interesting stuff right there!!!

8. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    He's a Black Sexlink cockerel.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA