Barred Rock or Black Sex Linked Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Saamigo, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Saamigo

Saamigo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Well I got those nice barred rock pullets yesterday and they are doing great. I was doing some research, and now am wondering if my roo is a sex linked and not a barred rock. We have been noticing a couple orange feathers on the wings, and some teal on the tail and wings. He is about 13 weeks old. Let me know what you think. Thanks for being so patient. I am just trying to learn.
    Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Looks like a black sex link [​IMG]

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    It's a Black Sex-Link

Chris

4. Saamigo

Apr 26, 2010
    Thanks, that's what I suspected. He is very sweet though [​IMG] He sure looked like a barred rock, at least to me, up until about a week ago. I wonder how I could have know when he was a small chick. Do the sex linked look different at that time? I have old pics of him if I knew what to look for I could check.
    Thanks.

5. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Seriously this is a black sex link?

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Yup..

Any rooster over a Barred hen will give you roosters that look like that....

Chris

7. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    It's pretty much impossible to tell the difference between chick barred Rocks and male black sex links. Unless, of course, you make your own with a golden-laced Wyandotte as the sire [​IMG] cuz then the sex link would have a rosecomb!

8. Saamigo

Apr 26, 2010
    A few people on the forum have said he is. I just saw a couple orange feathers on his wing and some teal on his wings and tail. I am new to chickens, obviously, so I didn't know. He sure looked like a barred rock when he was smaller. I have lots of pics of him in my uploads [​IMG]

9. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    He looks like a Black Sex-Link. If you aren't going to show them you don't need a Barred Rock roo anyway. If you breed him you'll get some black and red chicks.

10. Saamigo

Apr 26, 2010
    I think I may make my own next time [​IMG] Less confusing. I don't know who his parents are. He was one of my TSC birds. I got the pullets from a breeder [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by