Barred Rock or Black Sex links? When will I know? Updated with pics.

DebB11

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
We have had them just over 4 weeks...

Am I going to be able to tell anytime soon if I have BR or Sex Links?

What do I look for to help determine this? I will try and post some updated pics later..

These are not the best pics but...

83389_img_8547_1_2.jpg

83389_img_8559_2.jpg

83389_img_8546_2.jpg

83389_img_8544_2.jpg

Last edited:
wouldn't black sex links males be barred at this point though? Is it bad to have some comb and wattle showing at this age? Does that indicate roos? I tried to get some pics but they won't quit moving long enough for me to get a good shot of their heads...

I'm getting a bit nervous because all have combs but not red although a couple look to be a bit pink but they aren't huge or anything.... I have noticed the pinkish/redish though that appears to be wattles developing... is this too early which would indicate roos?

all 4 of mine have coloring like the top pic of yours...chick on top but I can't really see the head well enough to compare mine with your male.

Yes, BSL males carry the barred gene, well, half of it, I guess. The BSL roos will be the ringers.
But, by 6-8 weeks, the males are fairly obvious. To me, it's just a life time of experience noticing the way a rooster holds himself and the way he walks with his big feet and strange knee action. Upright, observant and proud.

Quote:
At this age, the head spot is irrelevant. That only works when they are days old. When you choose from a mixed bin or BSL and BR, the head dot becomes confusing because the BSL pullet has none. Only the Roo.

On the BR, the head dot on the female is small and regular. Roos are irregular. But even after all this kind of stuff, no sexing of chicks is 100%, ever.
Soon enough, the males and females show themselves as what they are.

I was talking more of comb/wattles. Does it mean roo if all mine have combs at this point? we bought them 4 weeks 2 days ago...not sure how old they were when we got them but they were chicks.....

I am not sure if the combs at this point mean anything.... I am also noticing some pinkish wattles beginning on at least 2 of them...

Back
Top Bottom