Barred rock or ccl

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jjredpower, Sep 28, 2016.

1. jjredpower

jjredpower Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    [​IMG]is this roo a barred rock or creasted cream legbar. Thank you!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Not a barred rock. For proper ID, though, a photo that is a bit clearer and shows the bird's head more clearly will be needed....if you can, get the bird's head in side profile and take the photo in natural lighting.

3. jjredpower

Oct 21, 2015
    [​IMG]not sure if this is any better but really the only 2 options are barred rock or ccl. So thank you

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    He is neither. He's a mixed breed. His white skin rules out both Barred Rock and Legbar. Legbars have white earlobes, he's got red. He might have some Cuckoo Marans in his lineage, but he is most certainly not 'pure'.

5. jjredpower

Oct 21, 2015
    [​IMG]this one is supposed to be ccl for sure

6. jjredpower

Oct 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    He's not cream, and he isn't crested. If that's a Legbar, he is a very poor quality one. Not a candidate for a breeding program.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - thank you so much for the additional photo, OP, it definitely cleared things up, just not in the direction I think you were hoping it would.

Agreed.

OP - did you source the birds in the hopes of starting your own breeding program? If that is your goal, it would seem you need to start over by sourcing some stock from a more reputable source/quality breeding program(s) -- if you share your location it is possible that someone here can help you to network with a breeder/breeders who have flocks that contain the sort of birds you would want to be working with. It would also help to know your goals with your own breeding program (again, assuming that is your goal) as that can help in suggesting lines that are complimentary to those goals.

10. jjredpower

Oct 21, 2015
    [​IMG] this is the daddy. I bought eggs from pure line for 50$ a dozen. My rooster and hen is all that i have out of them. Just wanted blue eggs. And maybe sell pure ccl eggs. Will try to find the line she said they were. Thanks so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by