1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock or Cuckoo Maran? A Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 1stTimeChikMama, Oct 9, 2012.

1. 1stTimeChikMama

1stTimeChikMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    My cousin has raised this bird since it showed up with siblings that were mangled from a hawk (the others didn't survive). They were just day old chicks when she found them. She asked the only two neighbors (farmers and both own a few hundred acres) and they say they are not theirs. Anyway, she has raised the chick in her house and just brought "her" outside for "playtime" lol. Oh how I love my family [​IMG] But "she" was found with egg-tooth on 8/26. So she is about 6 weeks old. My cousin wants me to take her as she just rents her place. I just want to be sure she is a SHE first! So do you think "she" is a Barred Rock or Cuckoo Maran? And does she look like a hen to you?!?! I think she does but I'd like more expert advise! Thanks all!!!

These are the pictures she sent me yesterday... Apparently she thinks she's a human too (never been around any chickens after 1 day old) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That is definitely a she! I find barred chicks very hard to determine breed if they are even pure at all. If a barred rock rooster mated any hen of any colour (except maybe a bird with a dominant white gene) they would look just like this.

What colour are the legs?

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Looks like a pullet to me and not a Barred Rock. So, it could be a Cuckoo Maran.

4. 1stTimeChikMama

Sep 18, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    I haven't seen the bird in person yet so I just texted her and she said the legs are light yellow/almost white. lol I might just have to wait and see for myself on that part [​IMG]

5. aoxa

Marans have pink/white legs - no yellow. I'm thinking that this baby is a mix.

6. 1stTimeChikMama

Sep 18, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    Oh okay! That's why I asked here. I'm not very experienced :)

As long as it's definitely a hen, I'll take her! lol I'm easy to please [​IMG]

It will be interesting meeting this chicken who thinks it's a person... and I'll have to get it use to the great outdoors (and I suppose other chickens as well)! lol

7. aoxa

I definitely think it's a hen :)

Crosses are still beautiful and do lay very nice eggs. :D

8. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

aww lookin' definitely girly! good luck with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by