Barred Rock or Cuckoo Maran???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HenThymes, Jan 12, 2011.

1. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    First let me tell you that he is out of a hatch that was suppose to be all cuckoo marans with the possibility of gold cuckoo's. Out the hatched I ended up with all sorts of things to figure out and I am starting with the easiest one first. So this guy, yes it does happen to be a darn cockerel at that [​IMG] is now just over four weeks old. I believe marans are suppose to have whitish legs and this guy clearly has yellow legs and soles. However he does have a few very faint leg feathers appearing toward the top of his legs. He also has the most bold black and white pattern of any of the cuckoo's. Can anyone help me out, I am not an expert of either... [​IMG] I have also attached one of the other hatchlings that has white legs, heavy feathering and not near that feather pattern, and I'm pretty sure it's a cockerel as well. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The first one is definitely a Barred Rock.

As for the cockerel thing - Do you remember how big the white dot on their head was? That is what you can sex them by next time. [​IMG]

3. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:I'm pretty sure it's the chick on the right. As of right now it has very red little wattles as only four weeks old but I am no barred rock expert. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by