Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans????

ChickenMammy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 1, 2011
I bought this "barred rock" for my hubby who loves them. Well, I noticed as she grew that she didn't look the same as our previous barred rock. The bars were wider and more pronounced. Our currect girl looks more mottled. Has white legs, and she just started laying these huge dark brown eggs. Not quite chocolate, I think this may be due to being a hatchery bird, which is what my laying flock is mostly composed of. I can't figure out how to post pictures????? Figured it out!
wee.gif

110752_byc_side.jpg

110752_byc_egg.jpg

Last edited:
You will be able to post pictures after a few more posts. New members are restricted for a little bit to avoid unwanted spam.

It does sound like you may have a Cuckoo Marans. Cuckoos' barring isn't as crisp as the Barred Rocks' and egg colour in Cuckoos can be a bit lighter than the Black Copper Marans, for example, although several serious Marans breeders are getting some seriously dark Cuckoo eggs as I saw at Crossroads.

welcome-byc.gif

I'd say hatchery BR.

They aren't really bred for even barring, more for production. Also, most hatcheries don't pay any attention to skin color, and hatchery birds tend to lay a wide variety of egg colors, even in the same "breed".

are its legs white? it looks like a marans since she has just started laying the eggs will be light and then the get darker as time goes by. it is way to dark to be a br and to big

the eggs look exactly like the ones I get from my girls...Barred Rock...dark and large.

wait, are the legs white? Can you post a different picture?

68634_dsc_0245.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
My hatchery BR girl laid a flippin' huge egg but it was much lighter and her legs were quite yellow as a pullet. The white legs give me the most pause ....

I will try and get a better pic of her legs tonight or in the AM. She has been hard to get pics of the last couple of days.....

this is our br. not the best pics though

001.jpg

002.jpg

if you also notice the barring is not uniform like that of a br

edit: i think these are hq

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom