Barred Rock or Dominique you tell me???

4HillsSumatras

Songster
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
Rural Hall, North Carolina
Bought 9 5 week old chicks at the Winston Show in March. They were suppose to be barred rocks. Now they are 10 weeks old and I know I have at least a few doms. Out of the 9, 7 are light in color (more white than black). Out of those 7, 4 of them are Dom cockerels I think because of the rose comb. the other 3 are not showing waddels and have singel combs. (Thinking they are Barred pullets) Then I have 2 birds that I think are Dom pullets. They are more black than the other birds but they are not showing rose combs.
idunno.gif

Never had Barred rocks or Doms so I am not use to the way they look. I guess they could be just mixed. any help would be greatly appricated. Here are some pics.

This is one of the Darker possiable pullets

36989_dscf3208.jpg

36989_dscf3209.jpg

There is one of the cockerels:

36989_dscf3215.jpg

36989_dscf3210.jpg

And what I think are the Barred pullets:

36989_dscf3216.jpg

36989_dscf3217.jpg

Last edited:
mother o' chicks72 :

the girls are both barred rocks and the roo is a dominique.

So the Barreds can be dark or light in color? But will never have a rose comb? Doms will always have rose combs?​

Quote:
So the Barreds can be dark or light in color? But will never have a rose comb? Doms will always have rose combs?

dominiques always have rose combs, barred rocks always have single combs. i can't necessarily guarantee your barred rocks are girls, because one is a bit paler(roo characteristic) but there CAN be pale hens sometimes.

mother o' chicks72 :

Quote:
So the Barreds can be dark or light in color? But will never have a rose comb? Doms will always have rose combs?

dominiques always have rose combs, barred rocks always have single combs. i can't necessarily guarantee your barred rocks are girls, because one is a bit paler(roo characteristic) but there CAN be pale hens sometimes.​

The "Paler" ones are not showing any signs of being roos. No waddels, no sickel feathers starting like the dom cockerels. Thanks for the info.

mother o' chicks72 :

Quote:

dominiques always have rose combs, barred rocks always have single combs.​

x2
Kinda hard to tell from the lighting on the pics, but they all kinda look like pullets except the 3rd pic.

Back
Top Bottom