Barred Rock or Dominique you tell me???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 4HillsSumatras, May 4, 2011.

1. 4HillsSumatras

4HillsSumatras Chillin' With My Peeps

Bought 9 5 week old chicks at the Winston Show in March. They were suppose to be barred rocks. Now they are 10 weeks old and I know I have at least a few doms. Out of the 9, 7 are light in color (more white than black). Out of those 7, 4 of them are Dom cockerels I think because of the rose comb. the other 3 are not showing waddels and have singel combs. (Thinking they are Barred pullets) Then I have 2 birds that I think are Dom pullets. They are more black than the other birds but they are not showing rose combs. [​IMG]

Never had Barred rocks or Doms so I am not use to the way they look. I guess they could be just mixed. any help would be greatly appricated. Here are some pics.

This is one of the Darker possiable pullets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is one of the cockerels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And what I think are the Barred pullets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    the girls are both barred rocks and the roo is a dominique.

3. 4HillsSumatras

mother o' chicks72 :

the girls are both barred rocks and the roo is a dominique.

So the Barreds can be dark or light in color? But will never have a rose comb? Doms will always have rose combs?​

4. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:So the Barreds can be dark or light in color? But will never have a rose comb? Doms will always have rose combs?

dominiques always have rose combs, barred rocks always have single combs. i can't necessarily guarantee your barred rocks are girls, because one is a bit paler(roo characteristic) but there CAN be pale hens sometimes.

5. 4HillsSumatras

mother o' chicks72 :

Quote:So the Barreds can be dark or light in color? But will never have a rose comb? Doms will always have rose combs?

dominiques always have rose combs, barred rocks always have single combs. i can't necessarily guarantee your barred rocks are girls, because one is a bit paler(roo characteristic) but there CAN be pale hens sometimes.​

The "Paler" ones are not showing any signs of being roos. No waddels, no sickel feathers starting like the dom cockerels. Thanks for the info.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The breeds have been crossed back and forth, to be honest. The rose comb is essential for the Dom.
    Time will tell, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd not be over confident on all those BRs being pullets. Time will tell.

7. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    mother o' chicks72 :

dominiques always have rose combs, barred rocks always have single combs.​

x2
    Kinda hard to tell from the lighting on the pics, but they all kinda look like pullets except the 3rd pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by