1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock or Male Sex Link? Other?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pawtraitart, Jun 26, 2007.

1. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    What do I have? This chick is 5 weeks old.

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are those feet yellow or pinky-white? If yellow, it looks like the coloring of a Barred Rock pullet, a breed I raise, but the comb seems to have pink in it pretty early on for a pullet, if that's five weeks old. If the legs are pink, I'd say Cuckoo Maran. However, if it was a cockerel, the color would probably be less black and more silvery looking.

3. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    The legs aren't really "yellow" like I see on my wyandotte...but they aren't as pink as my orpingtons. Behaviorwise, this one acts like a pullet.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  4. speckledhen

Looks like a pullet of either breed, depending on the leg color. Could be a dark cockerel; sometimes that happens, as well as lighter colored pullets, but I think that one is a pullet.

5. pawtraitart

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    I'll be thrilled if it's a pullet. This chick in particular is very friendly.

6. speckledhen

I love Barred Rocks for friendliness and egg laying consistency. Great breed.

7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Barred Rock, no doubt. looks like a hen, too.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think female BR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by