Barred Rock or Silver Laced Wyandotte?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ilovemychickies, Feb 23, 2008.

1. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all! Mom and I are thinking about getting some chicks from our local feedstore, and we can't decide if we'd rather get a couple Barred Rocks or Silver Laced Wyandottes. We already have a flock of Australorps, Americaunas, Buff Orpingtons, and White Leghorns. Which one of the 2 breeds are the sweetest, best layers, and can be put in with our original flock? Thanks so much.

Ashleigh

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

That's a tough one. They are both beautiful, good egg layers, good in cold weather, and very good pets. Between those two... I don't know if I could choose!! I say, Go for the breed you think is the prettiest, because I think they are on par with each other.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have both. They are both very sweet, beautiful each in their own way. I'd say the BRs are more curious about what you're doing, wanting to look over your shoulder all the time. They seem a more inquisitive breed, in general. BRs are my favorite all-round breed, but they both lay very well, both are sweet, both pretty. If I had to pick, I'd pick BR every time, though.

4. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    My BR are the gentlest breed I have. I would go with them [​IMG]

5. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I would have to suggest barred rocks, I personally haven't had good luck with wyandotte's personalities, but that may have just been the ones that I have had.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I'd get both [​IMG]

7. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Wyandottes! I have never had barred rocks..but if you want a breed that will truly stand out both in color and personality...these girls will do a perfect job!
    Here are some pics of my SLWs!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would get 2 of each though personally!
    Good Luck:)

8. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmmm. It is so hard to choose! I think that we will probably get 2 of each. Thanks so much for responding!

P.S. Your Wyandottes are beautiful Sam!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by