Barred rock...possible mix.. Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LaurieH1988, Aug 22, 2016.

1. LaurieH1988

LaurieH1988 New Egg

Jul 28, 2016
    Pueblo West, CO
    Hi! I was sold these as 8-12 week barred rock pullets along with some silver laced wyandottes just over 4 weeks ago (my first chickens). Making them 12-16 weeks now. None show the darker overall color I've seen associated with sexing barred rocks, making me question if they are all roosters. All had pinkish red combs within 2 weeks of purchase, the two biggest are single combed, the smallest I believe has a pea comb. Maybe y'all can tell more from the pictures than I can?!
    The one I believe 100% is a rooster is not the biggest nor the smallest, but already has the long pointy hackles and saddle feathers, while the largest doesnt!

Below: Oreo (smallest barred rock, pea comb)
    [​IMG]
    Below: Speedy, largest and tallest barred rock, can't see any long pointy hackle or saddle feathers.
    [​IMG]
    Below: left, britches (believed to be rooster) right speedy
    [​IMG]

2. LaurieH1988

LaurieH1988 New Egg

Jul 28, 2016
    Pueblo West, CO
    Sorry... Accidentally submitted before I was done! Toddlers are so helpful! :)

Below: Oreo the smallest again.
    [​IMG]
    Below: Speedy again. (I hate to even post this picture, they had made a huge mess with pine shavings and their cantaloupe treat (can't wait to switch to sand!))
    [​IMG]

Below: left to right Britches, Oreo, Speedy
    [​IMG]

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Oreo is a Dominique. They all look like roosters to me.

4. LaurieH1988

LaurieH1988 New Egg

Jul 28, 2016
    Pueblo West, CO
    Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Both Oreo and Speedy are incredibly sweet and loving. Hate to take them back :(

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    all cockerels

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by