1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred rock puller or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by neithardt, Sep 25, 2015.

1. neithardt

neithardt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    La Grange, NY
    Bought a RIR and Barred Rock pullets 2 weeks ago. Starting to think BR might be roo.
    Thoughts?[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The coloring is a bit light for a pullet, but feathering does not indicate 'cockerel' - yet.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How old, it's looking like a rooster to me.

4. neithardt

Apr 7, 2014
    La Grange, NY
    16 weeks

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'm going to stick with rooster.

6. MyMonsters91

MyMonsters91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    That's a tricky one. The black on the beak and legs indicates hen, the barring looks a bit light for, more like a roo. The red comb looks small for 16 weeks, though big for a girl, and it took a bit longer for my girls' to turn that read. You would think he'd be crowing his head off, leaving no question about roo vs hen. Also, this is my rooster at about 16 weeks old, and you can see his saddle and hackle feathers are looking sharp, and tail is fattening and getting longer.

[​IMG]

My female at 16 weeks:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  7. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I would definitely say that's a rooster by the lighter baring.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  8. MyMonsters91

MyMonsters91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    All in all, my guess is going towards a hen.. I think you would have heard growing, and there would be 'streamers' of smaller bands along the neck and saddle by now if it was a roo. The red face and larger waddle/comb look like a female that's hitting maturity and soon ready to lay. Are you 100% on 16 weeks? Maybe she'll be an early layer. Here's my girls at 20 weeks, getting mature and soon laying.
    [​IMG]

Can't look at the shape of the body, unfortunately, lmao. These males are built fat and round and look just as silly as the girls when they run, though I have noticed my roo will 'strut', therefore stick out his chest more while my girls keep a more folded over composure and will mostly just talk and cock their heads.

1 person likes this.
  9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Cockerel

10. neithardt

Apr 7, 2014
    La Grange, NY
    Seller said 14 weeks when I got them on 09/10. Seemed confident they were pullets, told me they should be laying the 1st week of December. That would be 24 weeks.
    The seller got them as chicks, I guess he could be a little off on the hatch date.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by