Barred rock pullers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lance27, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Lance27

Lance27 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2014
    Hi all I just ordered my new bunch of barred rock pullers should b here around march second. I was wondering if anyone has a flock and what things they prefer food and shelter wise or just any advise on them. I have raised many chickens but not barred Plymouth rocks before. Not a flock of 15 all the same anyway. Also if they will co mingle with my 15 red sexlink pulleys. :( :/

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your rocks, they are nice birds. If you want to do a search, there are a number of rock threads you might like, ie ... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/273471/plymouth-rock-thread and https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/811228/the-plymouth-rock-breeders-thread To me they seem pretty normal heavy breed chickens that aren't any trouble, they really don't require anything special, good layers. Mine get along fine with my red sexlinks, but the sexlinks are definitely the dominant birds of the two, so be sure the rocks are good sized and take time when you integrate the two flocks.

3. Lance27

Feb 26, 2014
    Thanks how long do you recommend to wait to let them co mingle or should I wait till they are pretty well grown all the way

4. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    The usual wait to introduce them is at about 16 weeks or when they are close to the same size. Be sure to give them time to see each other but separated so they can't peck at each other. Also when you do put them together some people like to put them on the roost at night sort of slipping them in so to speak, and others let them free range together for the first actual co-mingling. Good luck with your expanded flock!

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X2, it is usually easiest if you wait until they are about the same size, if you have them where they can see and interact with each other through a fence that really seems to help, and to let them free range together or mingle in the run before mixing them in the coop... it sounds like you have plenty of birds and usually mixing multiple birds in is easier than just trying to mix one or two. BYC has a nice article on various ways of integrating your flocks ... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

7. Lance27

Feb 26, 2014
    Thank for the welcome and advice will definatly try that

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your new babies and enjoy BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by