Barred Rock pullet? 10 weeks old, Opinions appreciated!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nambroth, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    I purchased this chick (along with others) direct from Meyer hatchery as a day old sexed pullet. I already have one for sure 'oops' cockeral (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6892483#p6892483) and one of my barred rock pullets has me concerned!

I have two BR pullets and they look identical (color, body and feather shape, etc) except the comb/wattle color. Chickadee has all of the signs of being a lady except this week her comb and wattles started really turning red. I know that they can 'flush' or blush when the chick is hot but hers is staying quite red even when it is cool at night.

Her body shape, posture, and colors read as 'pullet' to me. Is there a chance she is just developing faster than the other BR I have? I have read that rocks comb out fast. Am I giving myself false hope?

This is Chickadee as of today, at 70 days (10 weeks) old. All the same chick!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for your help.

2. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a pullet to me. [​IMG]

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I know nothing, but "it's" wattles and comb are MUCH more developed and red than my 3 13-week old BR pullets...

You know what? I just looked at my avatar and changed my mind. Ignore the crazy woman...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  4. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Looks like a girl to me...

5. crazy4chix

crazy4chix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    I think it is a pullet. She looks just like my BR hen when she was young. I also had a cockerel and he had a longer neck thinner feathers and bigger comb at that age. I say pullet![​IMG]

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Pretty pullet!

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a girl [​IMG]
    BR females can have/develop very large combs & wattles, so it's not a very good identifier within BR's. The dark black shading on the front of the legs and the more black than white feathers are the tell-tell signs.

8. frogdogs

frogdogs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Edinburg
    Quote:She's a pullet! I have three girls from Meyers the same age that look just like your girl! [​IMG]

9. sanyijr

sanyijr Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Livermore
    It's a girl [​IMG]

X7​

10. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Pullet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by